Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 2006 09:39:24 +0900
From:      Pyun YongHyeon <pyunyh@gmail.com>
To:        OxY <oxy@field.hu>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problem with Marwell gigabit performance

On Wed, Mar 15, 2006 at 09:57:23PM +0100, OxY wrote:
 > after further testing and transferred for a couple hours i realized that
 > the performance is ok, not changed dramatically
 > (the server was slow when i measured 9mb/s..)
 > but the load!
 > when i used ftp before the load increased to ~2.0, but
 > now it's 4.5! changed back to the original driver and got 2.0 again..
 > would you guys give me an advice what to buy? 3com or intel?
 > (i heard em(4) driver is not too good..)
 > thx!

I think you may not get correct test result when other system activity
such as disk I/Os is in progress. Just stick to check pure network
performance. For ftp, you can request "/dev/zero" from ftp server
and save it as "/dev/null" on client in order to avoid disk I/Os.
Also check the following URL.
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/developers-handbook/testing.html

--
Regards,