Date:      Thu, 12 Feb 2009 17:33:44 +0100
From:      Ed Schouten <ed@80386.nl>
To:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: pahole - Finding holes in kernel structs

--3sseE1tnmEs+TkKq

* Max Laier <max@love2party.net> wrote:
> So to answer your first question, submitting 101 patches to rearrange 101=
=20
> structs is certainly a wasted effort.  However, if you take a good look a=
t the=20
> 2000 holes, identify an interesting subset and submit a patch to fix that=
=20
> subset ... that would be a worthwhile effort ... IMHO.

I guess it's also a wasted effort to reduce struct tty from 8xx to 7xx
bytes, because it still allocates 1024 bytes of memory using malloc(9).
I guess we should mainly focus on structures that are allocated using
uma(9) or are slightly bigger than 2^n.

--=20
 Ed Schouten <ed@80386.nl>
 WWW: http://80386.nl/