Date:      Mon, 26 Jun 2000 09:40:16 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
To:        Leif Neland <leifn@neland.dk>
Cc:        InvictaNet Customer Support <support@invicta.net>, Freebsd-ISP <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: DNS

Leif Neland wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Jun 2000, InvictaNet Customer Support wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > However, we can't get the script to run as root (on FreeBSD 3.x). I have
> > tried suid on its own and by using a c wrapper as explained in the perl
> > docs. Neither works.
>
> Don't run as root then.
> Run, and let the files be owned by another user. Perhaps even run named in
> a sandbox.

	Another possible solution is sudo. Install it from the ports and add
your CGI user with the ability to run certain commands without a
password. I would recommend that you create a script that only does 'ndc
reload' instead of giving the CGI user total access to ndc... just in
case.

Good luck,

Doug
--
        "Live free or die"
		- State motto of my ancestral homeland, New Hampshire