Date:      Mon, 20 Apr 1998 23:25:23 +0000
From:      Niall Smart <rotel@indigo.ie>
To:        Peter Jeremy <Peter.Jeremy@alcatel.com.au>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: suid/sgid programs

On Apr 20, 10:00am, Peter Jeremy wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Apr 1998 00:09:43 +0000, Niall Smart <rotel@indigo.ie> wrote:
> >  lpd can be root.wheel 770 and immediately
> >setuid to "lp" after opening the socket.
>
> This means that lpd may not be able to read the user's file.  Either
> lpr has to always copy the file to be printed (which is slow and may
> mean lots of spool space), or you can only print world-readable files.

The default action of lpr is to make a copy of the file,  and I
don't believe the price for losing -s capability is such a bad
thing to pay for less setuid binaries, especially since most folk
don't know about it, and those that do can write a script to
temporarily remove read access from the current directory and rename
file file to something unguessable.  I know this isn't ideal, but
its not a bad tradeoff IMO.

Niall

--
Niall Smart.        PGP: finger njs3@motmot.doc.ic.ac.uk