Date:      Fri, 4 Jan 2002 13:27:39 -0800 (PST)
From:      Thomas Cannon <tcannon@noops.org>
To:        Scott Pilz <tech@squid.tznet.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Virus and Spam Filtering

I'm going to pitch qmail at you, and explain a bit of what I have set up.
You asked about virus filtering and spam filtering, and I really only have
experience with spam, so this is only half an answer. See inset notes.

> We run FreeBSD 4.0 with QPopper as the POP3 server, Sendmail as the SMTP
> server and Procmail as the delivery agent.

I use procmail as the local delivery agent, myself. Enabling this
with qmail is trivial. I also don't have to worry about anyone breaking
security via sendmail. And qpopper still works (another security gray
area) as procmail drops mail into /var/mail/user instead of a Maildir
(which wmail would do, if it had it's way).

> 	I'm looking for possibilities that we should consider as an ISP
> (with several thousand mail accounts) to replace our current service with
> Postini. Furthermore, the following information will be very helpful:
>
> 	- What do most large mail servers run?

Hotmail, Yahoo! mail, Netaddress, and so on use qmail. So did my old
employers (Xoom.com, NBCi.com, Snap.com) who all relied on spam for a
living.

> 	- Are the programs that do the filtering harsh on the CPU/Memory?
> 	- How GOOD do the programs work:
>           - Virus defs. updated often?

This information can be found here:

http://qmail.usp.br/top.html#microsoft

I use no MS stuff, so I never need to filter mail due to viruses, so I've
no idea what product works best, or how efficiently. Yes, I know I'm
lucky.

> 	  - Spam filtering works well?

Qmails's filtering is excellent. I use rblsmtpd, and feed it a couple
params so that it checks the Open Relay Database and the Osirusoft
combined DNSBL, as well as my own spam blacklist before accepting mail.
Instructions for setting that up can be found here:

http://web.greens.org/about/software/dnsbl.shtml

> 	- When a message is "filtered", is there a way to GET it? Or does
> the program simply delete it?

If the sender is a known spammer, the rblsmtpd will give them a message
saying so and drop the connection without ever accepting the mail.

> 	Any information on what you run on your own server, or any
> external program (we used to be with MAPS, then I guess they went down
> hill, is ORBS any good or do they still suck as well?) will be VERY
> helpful!

See the above links.

Qmail is a little tricky at first to set up, and you hate it for the first
few hours. Then you slowly begin to love it, and wonder why you used
sendmail at all before.

Anyway, whatever you use, good luck with it.

Thomas