Date:      Thu, 10 Aug 2000 12:18:43 -0400
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <fran@reyes.somos.net>
To:        "FreeBSD Hardware List" <freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>
Subject:   RE: Best behaved  drives for FreeBSD?

On Thu, 10 Aug 2000 18:04:26 +0100, Koster, K.J. wrote:

>> >IMHO, Maxtor are not very good drives.
>>
>> What is wrong with them?
>>
>I've got two in my home machine, and they soak up some 27MB/sec if I
>trust bonnie. Too bad bonnie is the only thing that I use that generates
>that kind of traffic. :-)

I am planning to put them on a 3Ware RAID 0 so I hopefully will
be able to see good throughput.

>From this may I deduce that this is for a home box, not a web server?

What is the obsession with web servers on the FreeBSD lists? :-)
There is a whole (corporate) world outside of web related stuff.
No this is not for home and it is not for a web server.
This is for a "temporary storage" box at work. Basically people
put trash on all our Netware/NT servers so I am going to create
this 120GB box and tell people that this is the only place they
can put junk.
I may also use it for staging of some backups and to store a
library of software.

>Maxtor's cheap for what they offer, IMHO.

Yes. I am getting two 40Gig to put on a raid 1 and 2 60GB for a
raid 0.

>If you are using Ultra/ATA66, you'll need different cables than regular IDE.

Yes I am ordering them. I don't know if we have any at the
office.

francisco
Moderator of the Corporate BSD list
http://www.egroups.com/group/BSD_Corporate