Date:      Sun, 19 Mar 1995 22:53:29 -0800
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@estienne.CS.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        Carlos Antonio Ruggiero <TOTO@ifqsc.sc.usp.br>
Cc:        hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Problems with 2940 and 950210snap

>Hi everybody,
>
>I'm having problems with my Adaptec 2940 and 950210 SNAP. I understand
>the ahc0 is still in the development phase but maybe someone can help me.
>
>I have a Pentium machine with 3 IDE disk driven by a Promise IDE controller.
>No problems here. Recently I bought a Quantum Empire 2100 (2 G) and a 2940
>controller. I am running 2.0 Release which seems to be working really
>fine (congratulations to all!!). However, 2.0R doesn't have 2940 support
>so I decided to try the snap version on my new Empire disk. It seems
>to work all right though getting the disk correctly probed during boot phase
>is kind of tricky (what i do is: 1) Boot DOS with adaptec drivers 2)
>Boot FreeBSD 950210snap. The system boots from the scsi drive but the Quantum
>disk is not recognized and i have to reset the machine to stop the
>error messages about the 15th device in the scsi bus ??? 3) Boot SNAP again
>and voila: everything works fine). Last week, i bought an Exabyte 4200
>DAT device and connected it to the scsi bus. The system boots all right
>if I follow the procedure above (except that, during step 2,
>the machine doesn't give me any error messages, it just hangs...).
>If I try to backup something to the DAT, mainly from the scsi disk, the system
>panics randomly after a few megabytes (it lasts much longer when data comes
>from the IDEs disks but it also panics..) I tried current (950317)
>with no success: the system can't get past the probe phase. It hangs trying
>to probe the scsi devices. My questions are:
>
>1) Is there anybody else having similar problems? I read something in this
>list about panics and about the 2940 but cant remember what :-) Are these
>problems related?
>
>2) Is there any possibility my Exabyte tape is not behaving correctly? It
>does seem to work fine in DOS but my partitions there are quite small...
>
>3) Is there anything I can do to help debugging the 2940 driver (if you think
>the problem is there)?
>
>4) Would the panic message help to find out what the problem is?
>
>Thanks a lot,
>
>Toto
>
>toto@ifqsc.sc.usp.br

I've fixed this problem in -current.  If you can rebuild a kernel, I'd
suggest picking up the following files:

ftp.cdrom.com:/pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-current/src/sys/i386/scsi/*
ftp.cdrom.com:/pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-current/src/sys/pci/aic7870.c
ftp.cdrom.com:/pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-current/src/sys/i386/isa/aic7770.c
ftp.cdrom.com:/pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-current/src/sys/gnu/misc/aic7xxx/*

--
Justin T. Gibbs
TCS Instructional Group - Programmer/Analyst 1