Date:      Tue,  8 Aug 2000 12:53:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Sean-Paul Rees" <sean@seanrees.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.1-20000807-STABLE install failure.

I'm trying to install 4.1-20000807-STABLE into a fairly recent install of
VMware on a 2000 Professional workstation. Unfortunately, every time I try,
sysinstall hits a brick wall and forces a reboot.

I need to install via HTTP proxy since I am behind a coporate LAN. I start
sys install, choose the custom install, partition and label the disk,
select my installation components, dhcp the bridged networking (lnc0), and
proceed to checkout. For installation, I select HTTP Proxy and I get the
following error at the bottom of the screen:

Fatal Error: Null name or value passed to set_variable2!

And then it reboots.

This is what the debug window (alt-f2) says:

DEBUG: ioctl(3, TIOCCONS, NULL) = 0 (success)
DEBUG: Can't open PC-card controller /dev/card0.
DEBUG: Can't open USB controller.
DEBUG: Add mapping for /dev/cuaa0 to sl0
DEBUG: Scanning disk ad0 for root filesystem
DEBUG: Scanning disk ad0 for swap partitions
New IP Address(lnc0): x.x.x.137
New Subnet Mask (lnc0): 255.255.255.0
New Broadcast Address(lnc0): x.x.x.0
New Routers: x.x.x.100
lnc0: DAD detected duplicate IPv6 address fe80:0001::0250:56ff:fe9a:9e01: 1
NS, 0 NA
lnc0: DAD complete for fe80:0001::0250:56ff:fe9a:9e01 - duplicate found
lnc0: manual intervention required
DEBUG: Fatal error 'Fatal Error: Null name or value passed to
set_variable2!'!

A friend installed 3.4-R just fine, but I'd rather keep with the 4.x
branch. Is the HTTP Proxy code bummed?

Appreciate any advice!

--
Cheers,