Date:      Sun, 13 Sep 1998 00:44:50 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Default boot partition

Doug White wrote:

> Why on earth is your kernel on the C partition?  It should be on the a
> partition.

Oh. uh, how do I fix that then? According to mount and fstab, my root
filesystem is just /dev/wd0s3, no a or c or anything on the end. I'm
confused :-( When you say ``C partition'', this doesn't have any relation
at all to which slice of wd0 that it's on, does it? It doesn't matter
that my kernel is not on the first slice of wd0 does it? If it does
matter, that can't change for the time being. (Billy$hit's excuse of an
operating system will probably be there a while yet, even though it's
hardly ever used.)

> Did you disklabel  your machine in a wierd way?

Probably. (I did most of it with sysinstall, so I just chose the sizes
for filesystems, and it did the rest.) It works though, so I'm not
going to change anything in a hurry. After reading the docs properly,
I see that you can have partitions withing slices, I obviously hadn't
read this when installing FreeBSD :-(

> Can I see your /etc/fstab?

OK...

# Device		Mountpoint	FStype	Options		Dump	Pass#
/dev/wd2s4b		none		swap	sw		0	0
/dev/wd0s3		/		ufs	rw		1	1
/dev/wd2s2e		/usr		ufs	rw		2	2
/dev/wd2s3e		/var		ufs	rw		2	2
/dev/wd2s1a		/tmp		ufs	rw		2	2
/dev/wd0s1		/dos/c		msdos	rw		0	0
/dev/wd0s5		/dos/d		msdos	rw		0	0
/dev/wd0s6		/dos/e		msdos	rw		0	0
/dev/fd0		/floppy		ufs	rw,noauto	0	0
/dev/fd0		/dos/a		msdos	rw,noauto	0	0
/dev/wcd0c		/cdrom		cd9660	ro,noauto	0	0
proc			/proc		procfs	rw		0	0

Most of that was generated by sysinstall, I just told it how much space
I wanted for /usr, /var and / (which has now been changed to /tmp, now
that / has been moved to wd0. This is probably the root (no pun intended)
of my problems, I probably screwed something there.)

--
Ben Smithurst : ben@scientia.demon.co.uk : http://www.scientia.demon.co.uk/

PGP: 0x99392F7D - 3D 89 87 42 CE CA 93 4C  68 32 0E D5 36 05 3D 16
     http://www.scientia.demon.co.uk/ben/pgp-key.html (or use keyservers)