Date:      Fri, 23 Aug 1996 02:44:19 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Williams <jw@ns.calyx.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   suid login

Hi, I'm having annoying problems with users who connect, then run login to
hide their source host.  My problem isn't so much the (attempted) hiding,
but the fact that after a lot of this activity my w display gets full of
broken fixed entries from people long logged off.  If I remove the setuid
bit from login can I expect any ill behavior from it other then the fact
that users can no longer re-login without reconnecting?  I have noticed
that setuid screen when called with -ln causes similar problems.  What is
going on and is there a way I can support those programs without getting
bogus login entries?

Thanks.

 John L. Williams  - Chief Network Engineer, Riot Graphics Corp.
                     System Administrator, Calyx Internet Access
 jw@riot.net - jw@calyx.net - jw@pirahna.net - jw@netpimp.com -
jw@cartel.org