Date:      Sun, 23 Sep 2001 12:00:20 -0400
From:      Technical Information <tech_info@threespace.com>
To:        FreeBSD Chat <chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Helping victims of terror

At 08:15 PM 9/22/2001, Paul Robinson wrote:
>Even Bush isn't stupid enough to piss off the EU countries, the UN security
>council and NATO. This *is* about internal politics - Bush is attempting to
>do what his father did (who in turn learnt from Margaret Thatcher) by
>engaging in a war that is positive from a publicity point of view. All this
>makes him look good with the electorate. Yes, I am cynical enough to believe
>that is his primary motive - he knows he is now far more popular than he was
>before the 11th September, and the reason he is popular is because he now
>has the oppurtunity to push the right buttons...

Every nation's media is slanted generally pervasive enough to sway public
opinion, so I don't think that U.S. citizens are at any particular
disadvantage here.

And cynicism notwithstanding, could it be that the majority of our people
really believe that retaliation is within our rights?  That they support
our President simply because his own actions fall in line with their
believe of what should be done.

You credit us with having above average intelligence and then claim that
we're behaving like sheep just because we agree with our country's official
position.  Perhaps we're not being influenced by our government; instead,
we're influencing it.

--Chip Morton