Date:      Thu, 17 Dec 1998 10:19:53 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bill Vermillion <bill@bilver.magicnet.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Aliased IPs

Troy Settle recently said:

> Ya know, the days of being able to get IPs at the drop of a hat
> are indeed over. But, not because we're running out. I'd hazard to
> say that as much as 40% of all IP space is still unallocated.

> A Class-A has >16 million addresses. Can anyone on this list
> suggest any organization that can make _efficient_ use of it? No?
> Didn't think so.

But a class B has only 65K addresses.   Before the days of
classless this made sense for people such as IBM, AT&T, GE, and the
few others that have A's.   It could be efficient for them to be
apportion B's and C's from that lot for their global reach.

I don't know how efficient that would be - and they could probably
use supernetted B's.

There are class B's out there too with under 1% usage. One I'm
famiar with could easily spin-off 254 of their C's with no impact on
their operation.