Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 1996 02:16:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Veggy Vinny <richardc@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        Jim Dixon <jdd@vbc.net>
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG, Chad Shackley <chad@gaianet.net>
Subject:   Re: Decision in Router Purchase

On Thu, 14 Nov 1996, Jim Dixon wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Nov 1996, Veggy Vinny wrote:
>
> > > Don't buy a 2501.  You can get a lot more performance for the same
> > > amount of money using FreeBSD and sync serial cards.
> >
> > 	Yeah, that's what we have been considering.  We are planning to
> > dedicate a P5-75 with 16MB ram just to use as the router.  What we are
> > worried about is when the ISP asks us what router we're using, what would
> > be a good description of this thing?
>
> "UNIX-based router"?

	Hmmm, do you think they will know what a Unix-based router is? ;-)

> Nothing to be ashamed of.  Two of the largest networks in the world,
> IBM and ans.net, use UNIX-based routers running gated.

	Really?  I thought they used Cisco's or Cascade.

> > > We use a variety of sync serial cards.  The ET card is an old design,
> > > takes up two ISA slots (one for each port), and has other problems.
> > > The SDL Communications cards (N2d, N2pci) are better hardware.
> >
> > 	Hmmm, ET takes up two ISA slots?  What are the problems with the
> > ET?
>
> The boards that we have -- I think that the date on the PCB is 1992 --
> have one connector on the backplate.  The second port is on a very short
> ribbon cable that just barely makes it to the next ISA slot.

	Hmmm, this is interesting.

> Other problems: the logic for each port is on a small daughterboard.
> This is held in only by friction.  There is a device below one of the
> daughterboards -- the one for port 0, unfortunately -- that is too
> high (because it is socketed), so you can't get the daughterboard all
> the way in without causing it to bow.  Then over time it gradually works
> its way out.

	So it actually has physical problems that can be costly over time?

> We also had support problems with ET (we bought three boards and ET
> adamantly refused to supply three sets of documentation) but YMMV.

	Hmmm, I emailed Dennis at ET and the only problem we had was the
COD only policy for payment.

> > > The problem with the SDL cards is the lack of FreeBSD drivers.  There
> > > is a driver for the N2d but not for the N2pci.  The ET driver software
> > > suppports more protocols and some degree of compression.
> > >
> > > So generally SDL wins on the hardware side and ET on the software
> > > side.  We prefer SDL but are not happy with the lack of software
> > > support.
> >
> > 	Hmmm okay, but is the ET still better than a Cisco?  and does the
> > SDL cost less or more than the ET?
>
> The Cisco 2501 would be my last choice.  If you are using PPP or Cisco
> HDLC to talk to your provider, I would recommend the SDL card plus John
> Hays' FreeBSD driver.  If you are using frame relay the ET card is the
> only choice with FreeBSD.
>
> Last time I checked the ET card was significantly more expensive than
> the SDL card.

	Hmmm, what are the differences between the two cards anyways?
We're gonna have either a Full T1 or a Frame Relay T1.  So the SDL card
doesn't support FR?  As for the SDL, is the RiscSomething mentioned on the
ET homepage actually the SDL card?

Vince
GaiaNet Corporation - Unix Networking Operations - GUS Mailing Lists Admin