Date:      Sat, 24 Mar 2001 16:45:51 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>, mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Addtron PCI<->wireless card bridge support?

* Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG> [010324 15:37] wrote:

> > > Hmm, this one is odd.  If you take a look at the yourvote.com pci vendor
> > > list, this card is:
> > >
> > > Chip Number: WL11000P
> > > Note: Really a PLX Tech PCI9052 wired to 802.11 PCMCIA card
> > >
> > > I suspect this is just a cardbus bridge like the lucent cards except
> > > with a mangled PCI ID to add to the confusion.
>
> Don't suspect, it makes you look silly.  Instead, go to PLX's site and
> discover that the 9052 is actually a PCI to generic-bus bridge.  There are
> two possible options from here; one is that it's trying hard to look
> enough like the PCCARD bus on the other side to fool the pccard, the other
> is that the pccard is actually in "hardwired" mode (which some of these
> cards support) and the whole thing looks like a single peripheral.
>
> > Can you point me at which files I should be looking at to play with
> > this?
>
> Start with PLX's website, and then work backwards from the wiring layout
> on the board.  Seriously.

http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/dev/linux-wlan/2000-q4/0042.html

Weird, it appears that the thing makes the pcmcia card appear as a
PCI device:

none0@pci0:12:0:
       class=0x028000 card=0x11001638 chip=0x11001638 rev=0x02 hdr=0x00

Anyhow, I hate hardware, but it's tempting to check this out, the
unfun part is that this is in my router/gateway box so rebooting
it often tends to annoy Heather. :)

Daemon News Magazine in your snail-mail! http://magazine.daemonnews.org/