Date:      Mon, 25 Sep 1995 15:49:14 -0600
From:      kelly@fsl.noaa.gov (Sean Kelly)
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports startup scripts

"Coranth" == Coranth Gryphon <gryphon@healer.com> writes:

    Coranth> But throwing out the entire "rc" script concept, and
    Coranth> going with (pick an implemention, any mutant
    Coranth> implementation) SysV-clone I consider bad.

Agreed.

So what we *really* DON'T need is an all-singing, all-dancing
automatic startup/shutdown configuration manager with cycle detection
and autoremoval that ports, packages, and anyone else can use, along
with a WWW based browser/editor so even someone with less computer
experience that one could possibly gain on a Mac can jump right in and
with a few drags of the mouse, make one's in.gaflorkd to start up
before /usr/libexec/rpc.rfribbitzd.

Or, perhaps I should say ...

It's NOT THAT HARD to use your own built-in pattern recognition
software and hand-configure /etc/rc.local.  Often times, the software
configuration issue is so complex, what with commercial vendors who
won't give you the time of day (much less answer the phone) to poorly
assembled freeware, that there's really no better expedient than to
read a few convoluted READMEs or what-have-you and fire up (all at the
same time now) ``your favorite text editor.''

Remember Jordan's words: we lost the desktop market, and that seems to
be the primary target of all this proposed reconfiguration.  People
using are systems will have enough gray matter to know what to do when
they see:

        % make install
        Installing fizzlefrazzle-1.2
        install -c -o bin -g bin -m 555 fizzd /usr/local/libexec
        install -c -o bin -g bin -m 555 fizzclean /usr/local/libexec
        install -c -o bin -g bin -m 555 fizzle /usr/local/bin

        Installation complete.  Now, edit your /etc/rc.local file
        and add a line to start fizzd.  Also, add fizzclean to root's
        cron, set to run every half hour, more if you think you need
        it.

--
Sean Kelly
NOAA Forecast Systems Laboratory, Boulder Colorado USA

A power surge on the Bridge is fails to electrocute the user of a
computer panel, due to a highly sophisticated 24th century surge
protection feature called a 'fuse'.
-- One of 46 things that never happen on Star Trek