Date:      Mon, 19 Mar 2001 21:28:04 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chet Hosey <chosey@nidhog.com>
To:        <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Sendmail+STARTTLS

Has anyone successfully used sendmail with TLS? I'm being denied by an
Exchange server, since sendmail will automatically try to use TLS if the
server offers it, even if sendmail has not been given certificates, etc.

Is it possible, without a recompile, to prevent sendmail from using
STARTTLS when acting as a client?

Incidentally, I'm a recently converted long-time Linux admin. While I am
generally impressed with the quality of FreeBSD vs. the hackish Linux
environment, I am disappointed that a feature which, when misconfigured,
could severely limit interoperability would be enabled by default and yet
remain so poorly documented. That this might be the case is one of the few
things that darkens my view of an otherwise impressive OS. Is there a
place to which one wanting to stay in the know might look for help?

I dislike the thought of interrupted service, especially if I might have
overlooked an obvious source of information.

Thanks in advance for any help you might provide.