Date:      Fri, 15 Feb 2002 09:29:54 -0800
From:      Michael Sierchio <kudzu@tenebras.com>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        Vinod Namboodiri <geekvinod@yahoo.com>, Jason Hunt <leth@primus.ca>, freebsd-net@freebsd.org, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MAC Layer of TCP/IP stack

Kevin Oberman wrote:

> In wireless (802.11) protocols there is also no CSMA/CD as it is not
> applicable to wireless although there IS a MAC and it is usually
> loadable, though documentation and source is proprietary and general
> hard to get.

802.11 supports CSMA/CA, where the A stands for the
avoidance algorithm -- CD is impossible where the transmit and
receive antennas are coincident.

And I don't know why you declare CSMA/CD rules to be "broken" -- they've

worked surprisingly well since Metcalfe and Boggs devised Ethernet.

The major problem as I see it is that the wait period is defined by
the physical layer constraints (fixed time),  whereas increasing
bandwidth makes the wait time a higher and higher percentage of
the bandwidth.

There are certainly wireless cards that permit 802.11 raw frame
processing by the host -- this is a great help to those miscreants
who engage in the exercise of driving around and snooping on
others' 802.11 nets with the excuse that they're "helping" the
rest of us.