Date:      Thu, 11 May 2000 21:05:37 -0400
From:      Scott Gregory <bsdbox@citizen.infi.net>
To:        webmaster@wmptl.com
Cc:        Brennan W Stehling <brennan@offwhite.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Clustering FreeBSD

I would never underestimate the capability of FreeBSD!  I would however
like to have some load balancing / failover capabilities.  I have used
the resilient link method you described below, but personnally I would
prefer to have all my machines in the "cluster" serving up web pages at
all times (this gives me the warm fuzzy that the machine will perform
properly at all times).

This may be something more for the apache developers.....  We use quite
a few M$ IIS web servers at work (I don't make all the decisions!) and
they have a "network load balancing" capability.  It looks to me like
the systems in the "cluster" use a promiscuous mode to listen for
requests on the IP assigned to the cluster and coordinate amongst
themselves as to who will service the request.  They are able to handle
failover and session states between the machines.  If I could get
something like that on FreeBSD/Apache I would be a VERY happy camper.

Scott