Date:      Thu, 8 Mar 2001 09:35:43 -0800 (PST)
From:      Henry Ammons <henryammons@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Intermittant freezing problems

Good day.

A while ago I posted the request for some
encouragement to switch from Windows 2k
Server/Exchange to FreeBSD.  I have *really* enjoyed
my time with FreeBSD thus far; you can see exactly
what's going on (or find out eventually), and there
isn't that mysterious disk activity when nothing is
happening--it's an honest operating system.

I have run into some trouble recently, though, and was
wondering if anyone might have suggestions.  The
system seems to freeze with no messages or error logs
once or twice a day.  When it freezes, the hd activity
light illuminates and stays lit.  Pre-BSD I did not
experience any troubles with the exact same hardware.
I'm wondering if it is a hardware probe that is
causing my troubles or possibly my bios settings.

The system:
AMD 600 Athlon
ABIT MB
256 MB Ram
(2) Maxtor Drives IDE (on one channel, one master, one
slave)
(2) Linksys ethernet cards, only one in use with
static ip, the other is not configured
No X
FreeBSD 4.2, sshd, sendmail, apache

I appreciate your help with this.  It was frozen this
morning, but did have the standard two Charlie Root
emails, so it was running until at least 2am.

Thank you,
Henry