Date:      Mon, 13 Sep 1999 10:34:00 +0100
From:      "Greg Quinlan" <Greg.Quinlan@swlct.sthames.nhs.uk>
To:        "Pat Lynch" <lynch@bsdunix.net>, "Adrian Wontroba" <aw1@stade.co.uk>
Cc:        <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Greg Quinlan" <Greg.Quinlan@swlct.sthames.nhs.uk>
Subject:   Re: More SCO Propaganda

Well my apologies to the people of SCO. I must point out that I had been
involved with SCO from about '86 when it was just Xenix 2.x, and sold the
product to my customers for years, singing the praises of Unix/Xenix. But
unfortunately it all went a bit pear shaped with later releases ... and I
lost a lot of respect for SCO in general. My major gripes were that the OS
was not stable anymore, there were major problems fundamentally with it. In
one instance I was almost sued by a company because SCO's PPP did not work.
(some time later SCO dumped-it for another PPP product.) This would not have
been so bad but the distributor maintained there was nothing wrong.....until
it was proven... I could go on and on .... Problems with TCP, Problems with
patches not installing, symbolic links lost everywhere.... If something went
wrong ...well, you needed to reinstall..... I had one customer that I could
not install the OS because the boot floppy (N1) would not recognise an IDE
CD-ROM and a SCSI hard disk combination... I even got told that it was
supported.

Then-the saga of moving from unlimited user version to limited (16.32,
...512) trying to explain to customers that  it was just so they could
identify and look after their customers better. Ohh... yes then there was
the saga with registration, with the very first version of OSR5.... I called
all the numbers for the on-line registration, all around the world (when I
was in Australia) none of them were connected....except one, so I had to
wait all night at a client (that was a 3hr drive from my Office,) until
5.00am to ring SCO direct in the US to get a registration code ..... In the
early days of SCO, I seemed to be first to encounter problems.... I stuck by
them and played the game.... then gave up.... if I had access to some source
...well I was dreaming..... and now I use FreeBSD where-ever possible, but
support HP-UX, Digital Unix, SUN-OS, and SCO, but not Linux that was just as
bad, (although friends say I should give it another chance)

So the moral to the story is: I carefully looked at other OS's and selected
FreeBSD. ;)

Anyway, you probably know why I'm so surprised that they give the Open
Source arena such great support. As for skunkware they do not support it or
have enhanced-it!? As for staying in business ... well they lost mine...

Greg