Date:      Mon, 17 Jun 1996 10:40:41 -0400
From:      Charles Henrich <henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu>
To:        sef@kithrup.com, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tape drive questions/recommendations

In lists.freebsd.hardware you write:

>My oldish DAT tape drive is dead.  Bugger.

>So I've been looking at other tape drives today.  A place called the Disk
>Drive Depot has an Archive drive of some sort, DAT, with a 4 tape
>autochanger.  I don't know the model number yet, 'cause they were closed
>today.

>I can also get a Conner or HP DAT drive for <$600, new.  Or I can get an
>ExaByte 2501 for a bit <$500.

>So... the Archive one, if it works and has a decent warranty, would be my
>preference (since I have all these DATs here that I've been doing backups
>on, and I'd like to be able to use them should I need to pull something off
>;)), but I do want something reliable and that works flawlessly with
>FreeBSD.

I have been using Sony SDT-5000's for quite some time now, and I have to say
they are one of the nicest DAT's I've used.  Its a DDS-2 drive, and has a 1MB
onboard cache, meaning this puppy streams at an honest 700K/sec while doing
dumps/restores (unless of course you hit 200MB of gzips, then we drop down to
about 350K/sec).  I recommend them highly, although I think they may be a bit
more expensive than the drives listed above.

-Crh
--

       Charles Henrich     Michigan State University     henrich@msu.edu

                         http://pilot.msu.edu/~henrich