Date:      Thu, 31 May 2001 13:47:45 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        henk@home.cg.nu
Cc:        jan@digitaldaemon.com, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Log file rotation with Apache.

On 30 Mai, Henk Wevers wrote:

[my previous message was about "rotatelogs" which comes with apache]

> The correct way could be
> In the /etc/newsyslog.conf
>
> logfilename           owner.group     mode count size time [ZB] [/pid_file]
> [sig_num]
> /var/log/httpd-access.log              664  14    *    168   Z
> /var/run/httpd.pid 1

Why send a signal to apache (and interrupt it), if you are able to do it
without it (SIGHUP closes currently open connections)?

There are even superior replacements for rotatelogs, if the available
featureset isn't enough for you (it wasn't for me, so I hacked in
something (e.g. automatically [gb]zipping the rotated file and a human
readable date format) some time ago).

Bye,
Alexander.

--