Date:      Fri, 12 May 2000 23:40:47 +1000 (EST)
From:      User Raymond <raymond@one.com.au>
Subject:   RE: More on AS200 won't install

To:   freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG

Dave Haney said:
> >If I disable automatic spin-up on the disks:
> >
> >        srm sees them
> >        the kernel probe sees them
> >        but the bloody install says I have no disks!!!
> >
> >If I enable automatic spin-up on the disks:
> >
> >        the stupid install looses its init!!!
> >
> >What is the next thing to try?
> > >

> >Ray Newman
> >

> I had something like this happin on my AS200. My problem was FreeBSD didn't
> like
> the fact there was still a linux partition table, and filesystems on the
> disk.
> It caused init to die each time the disk was probed. I eventually fixed it
> by  putting the disk in another machine, and doing a "dd" from /dev/zero on
> it.
>
> Other than that, if the disk is not internal, you *really* need to be
> careful  about proper SCSI cables and termination.

The disk was last used as a VAX VMS disk.  I tried a couple of hours ago
to fix by using linux (which installs and runs fine on this machine) to
put partitions (linux) on it.  Didn't make any difference.

Unfortunately I can't put it in another machine - I haven't got one.

All disks are internal.

Ray Newman