Date:      Wed, 7 Mar 2001 06:23:06 +1000 (GMT+1000)
From:      Trent Waddington <s337240@student.uq.edu.au>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>, Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>, <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Stallman stalls again

I claim that you are being misled by the "intellectual property" body of
publisher cartels.  This claim:

"There is no possible justification for prohibiting the public from
copying what it wants to copy."

is not RMS's, it an assertion made during the drafting of the US
constitution.  If you _read_ the essay, you would know this.  Copyright is
not about compensating authors are the moral requirement of people to pay
others for their work.  That's the domain of intellectual property.  No,
copyright is all about encouraging authors to create _more_ works.  It's a
bribe.  So if you write one book and you can honestly say that you dont
have another book in you, then the only reason I have to pay for your work
is to advertise the oppotunity to make a profit by writing books to other
would be authors.  If I dont think this will happen then I shouldn't pay
you.  Your romantic notions about authors being privledges beings that we
should publically support is misled and results in greater harm to society
than the outright elimination of copyright would.