Date:      Fri, 21 Dec 2001 11:58:51 +0100
From:      Thomas Zenker <thz@Lennartz-electronic.de>
To:        Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: USB ethernet problem

On Mon, Dec 17, 2001 at 02:35:03PM +0100, Thomas Zenker wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 17, 2001 at 03:20:51AM -0500, Mike Silbersack wrote:
> .. deleted
> >
> > RFC 2581 suggests that 4 is a good value (well, not exactly 4, they have a
> > formula which comes out to about 4 in most cases.)  I'm inclined to agree
> > that something between 2-4 would be a good value for our non-local
> > slowstart flightsize as well.  Maybe after 4.5 is released we can go look
> > into it.  (It's too late to be changing stuff now.)
> >
> > Mike "Silby" Silbersack
>
> just to remind ourselfs why this thread came up
> (i myself had nearly forgotten about it :-):
>
> for the instruments, we produce and which run FreeBSD embedded, I
> was doing an installation/upgrade package for our production here.
> The install is done via USB/ethernet adaptor.  Because of the change
> to recvspace lately (now 65536) the USB/ethernet adaptor (or the
> switch, not sure) is overrun and resulting installation speed drops
> to unacceptible 10KB/s. It is not a problem for me, because I can
> manipulate per sysctl recvspace in my package. But it may become a
> problem for people which want to install FreeBSD 4.5 over USB/ethernet
> with the normal sysinstall (for example laptop users). AFAIK there is
> no knob if you boot from floppy.

to follow up myself :-(

the situation changed, I have tried to install the new release now
on the final embedded hardware. It is to mention, that this hardware
is working with fbsd 4.3 from july without any problems in about
50 equipments. Upgrade from the previous fbsd 4.3 works flawlessly
(4.3 kernel is running during this procedure), however after rebooting
the 4.4 kernel, another upgrade run doesn't terminate:

usb0: host controller process error
usb0: host controller halted
kue0: watchdog timeout
kue0: watchdog timeout
kue0: usb error on tx: TIMEOUT
kue0: watchdog timeout
kue0: watchdog timeout
kue0: usb error on tx: TIMEOUT
kue0: watchdog timeout

and the machine hangs....

Tried to narrow the send/recv space without success. ttcp tests run
without problems. Also tried the big read/write sizes, sysinstall
uses.

The difference in the run of sysinstall and ttcp is the heavy disk
activity with sysinstall.

There was no significant change in the USB driver since 2001-07-17.

Might there be a run condition, interrupt problem or priority problem
with the ata driver, which become visible now on the slower machine?

May be I have to go back to fbsd 4.3

Thomas

-- Thomas Zenker
   c/o Lennartz electronic GmbH
   Bismarckstrasse 136, D-72072 Tuebingen, Germany
   Phone:  +49-(0)7071-93550
   Email:  thz@lennartz-electronic.de