Date:      Mon, 22 Feb 1999 07:39:56 -0600
From:      "Richard Seaman, Jr." <dick@tar.com>
To:        Geoff Rehmet <geoffr@is.co.za>
Cc:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Star Office 5 woes

On Mon, Feb 22, 1999 at 01:07:44PM +0000, Geoff Rehmet wrote:
> Doug Rabson writes :
> > Download the new version from the same place you got so50. The
> > registration process has been streamlined and doesn't seem to involve
> > basic at all (its managed by the installer).
> Registration problems aside (I'm busy downloading the new version),
> I noticed, from my log files, that so50 is using the sched_yield
> syscall.  It appears to be a good idea to compile your kernel
> with:
>
> options         "P1003_1B"
> options         "_KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING"
> options         "_KPOSIX_VERSION=199309L"
>
> (I don't know if anyone mentioned that explicitly.)
> Otherwise, watch syslogd go beserk - vrey noticeable on a P133 :-)

Linux threads running under linux emu requires the above options
in the kernel.  Not only will syslogd "go beserk", the threads code
won't work correctly, without it.

This has been noted at http://lt.tar.com for several months now.
There are also fixes that need to be made to the posix scheduling
code.  At one point it looked like the fixes would be committed,
and the posix scheduling stuff made standard, before 3.1 was released.
It didn't happen, though I understand it may happen in the next
week or two.  Peter Dufault has been working on it.

--
Richard Seaman, Jr.           email: dick@tar.com
5182 N. Maple Lane            phone: 414-367-5450