Date:      Sat, 17 Jul 2004 19:46:44 -0700
From:      Joshua Tinnin <krinklyfig@spymac.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re:

On Saturday 17 July 2004 06:31 pm, Glyn Tebbutt <d3c3it-linux@ntlworld.com>
wrote:

> Just out of interest how hard is it to upgrade to Xorg? i too have just
> came over to freebsd, from a linux background and ive been following
> this thread. im too running 5.2.1 and im having endless problems with
> the nvidia driver and xfree, wondered if changing to xorg would help. do
> you need to pkg_remove xfree* first ?

Well, as has been mentioned, this isn't really a tech help list, so it's
generally a better idea to subscribe and post tech questions to:

freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

But it did originally take me a while searching through my own archives of
that list to find an explicit answer, and I don't mind helping when I can. I
have an ATI Radeon 9600 XT, and although I still can't get 3D support in
FreeBSD, I'm able to use it now. (As you probably know, if games are
important you might want to consider having another OS installed somewhere.
3D support does work for my card using VESA with my Slackware install, but
not with the radeon driver, oddly enough.) You have to deinstall and install
in a specific order to get things all working together, though I've read
other people say they just yanked XFree and installed X.org with no problems
- it may work for some people, but it hasn't for others, and I wouldn't
recommend that method. I'm going to paste in the message below from
freebsd-questions which had the instructions I followed (the message will
probably be word-wrapped, so keep in mind the commands between pkg_deinstall
wrapper... and cd usr/ports... all start with portupgrade -o ). This worked
for me. The message indicates version numbers which may differ from yours,
but if you start in /var/db/pkg you can use tab-completion to easily find
your own version numbers. Also, I have a 2MHz AthlonXP with 512MB, and my
total time was around three hours, far less than the time it took on Geert's
P3, but your mileage may vary. Just in case you don't know, make sure you're
not running XFree86 while doing this. You should also run pkgdb after you
install or update any X related package after you do this, but soon the X.org
server will be the default, so that won't be an issue for too long.
Otherwise, it's fairly painless. You might want to run pkgdb -F after rehash
to make sure everything's in order, which is what I did - there were still a
few minor things out of place. I used xorgconfig instead of merging my
XF86Config with xorg.conf as Geert did, and tweaked it after I confirmed I
could start up with what it had. The conf files are almost identical in
format and shouldn't be difficult to transition.

HTH,

- jt

From:
Geert Hendrickx <geert.hendrickx@ua.ac.be>

Date:
Tue 29 Jun 04 5:29 am

I followed Matthew's instructions to upgrade from XFree86-4.3 to X.org and it
worked well.  It took about 14 hours on my laptop (a P3 with 64Mb or RAM).  I
have not recompiled any other packages and I haven't had any troubles so far.

Here's how I did it exactly:

cd /var/db/pkg
        # so I can use tab-completion for the exact XFree86 version-numbers.
pkg_deinstall XFree86-4.0.1,1
        # This is the metaport.  I deinstall it first because later it would
        # complain about the stale dependency to wrapper:
pkg_deinstall wrapper-1.0_3
        # This is used by XFree86, but not by xorg.  I remove it because I
        # suspect it could cause trouble with x11/xorg-server.
portupgrade -o devel/imake-6 imake-4.3.0_1
portupgrade -o x11/xorg-libraries XFree86-libraries-4.3.0_6
portupgrade -o x11/xorg-clients XFree86-clients-4.3.0_3
portupgrade -o x11-fonts/xorg-fonts-encodings XFree86-fontEncodings-4.3.0
portupgrade -o x11-fonts/xorg-fonts-100dpi XFree86-font100dpi-4.3.0
portupgrade -o x11-fonts/xorg-fonts-75dpi XFree86-font75dpi-4.3.0
portupgrade -o x11-fonts/xorg-fonts-cyrillic XFree86-fontCyrillic-4.3.0
portupgrade -o x11-fonts/xorg-fonts-miscbitmaps
XFree86-fontDefaultBitmaps-4.3.0
portupgrade -o x11-fonts/xorg-fonts-truetype XFree86-fontScalable-4.3.0
portupgrade -o x11-servers/xorg-server XFree86-Server-4.3.0_14
portupgrade -o x11-servers/xorg-fontserver XFree86-FontServer-4.3.0_2
portupgrade -o x11/xorg-manpages XFree86-documents-4.3.0
        # You could as well just pkg_deinstall XFree86-documents-4.3.0,
        # since xorg-manpages is not required by the x11/xorg metaport
cd /usr/ports/x11/xorg && make install clean
        # This will additionally install x11-fonts/xorg-fonts-type1,
        # x11-servers/xorg-vfbserver and x11-servers/xorg-printserver, which
        # had no equivalents in XFree86.
pkgdb -u
rehash

Now, `find /usr/X11R6 -name "*[Ffe]86*"` says I've still got quite some
XFree86-related files left, but according to pkg_which, most of them are
claimed by some xorg-package.  I have merged my custom XF86Config with a
generic xorg.conf and all seems to work well.

GH