Date:      Wed, 12 May 1999 19:50:58 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Bill Fumerola <billf@chc-chimes.com>, Joseph Scott <joseph@randomnetworks.com>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: O'Reilly Open Source Con in Aug 99, BSD?

"Jordan K. Hubbard" wrote:

> > On Tue, 11 May 1999, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> >
> > > Unfortunately, we couldn't get the people and so we won't be involved
> > > in any significant sense.  I'd already called in all my markers and
> > > emptied the speaker barrel for the USENIX technical conference and
> > > there just wasn't anything left over for O'Reilly.
> >
> > Fly me there, and I'll talk about anything you want. :>
>
> Did I forget to mention that O'Reilly doesn't pay speaker expenses?
> That makes it somewhat more difficult to find people. :(
>
> Not to pick on O'Reilly - this appears to be something of an emerging
> trend.  About 75% of the invites I get to speak at conferences are
> "come on your own nickle please, we have no budget for speaker
> subsidies" and if Walnut Creek CDROM weren't paying the bill, I would
> speak far less often.

Three cheers again for Walnut Creek CDROM, they're certainly great
friends to have.  ;^)

I wish I could volunteer, but I'm up to my ears.  I was supposed to be
in cruise-mode by now, but somebody keeps breaking the software mine
connects to, so I have to go fix THAT...

One of these days I'll be able to go to these cool shows.  <Sigh>