Date:      Sat, 07 Nov 1998 22:43:48 -0700
From:      Sean Kelly <kelly@plutotech.com>
To:        nik@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TeX problems; Doc. Proj. needs you!

> The Handbook has been converted to DocBook.

And there was much rejoicing!

> * Download and install print/teTeX-beta from the ports system (you want
>   a version which identifies itself as 0.9-YYMMDD). It's large, ~30MB of
>   required distfiles.

What's the difference between teTeX and regular TeX?  I've never heard
of teTeX until you mentioned it, and the ports description isn't
terribly helpful.

> * Install it. It comes with a Makefile, but it's got problems;
>
>     1. The line
>
>          tex -ini "&hugelatex" jadetex.ini
>
>        doesn't work, there is no &hugelatex. I used &latex.

That's probably someone's configuration for a latex with a larger "pool"
size.  I haven't encountered problems with using the standard latex
(yet).

>     2. It references dsssl.def and isoents.tex. I don't know where
>        they come from.

Those are built into jadetex.dtx; they're generated when you "make".

My hurdles are just getting the "make" to run cleanly.  I've had to
fetch the latex AMS fonts package and the latex Graphics package so
far.  And ulem.sty.  And OT2enc.def, but renamed to ot2enc.def.  And the
ec metafont package.  And fancyhdr.sty.  And yet more!  Blech.  (Maybe
all those are built into teTeX?)

Maybe a better place to get jadetex is from the CTAN's
/tex-archive/macros/jadetex directory, which includes a directory
"cooked" which seems to have all the stuff I'm missing.

Finally, it fails to build not finding a language.dat file for French.
Merde.

I think I'll throw in the towel for now and try again tomorrow with
teTeX.  :-(  Sometimes, I genuinely hate TeX.

--Sean