Date:      Mon, 3 Apr 1995 09:05:41 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        dennis@et.htp.com (dennis)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: NE2000 Plus performance

> >Poking around with the configuration program of our ethernet cards
> >(NE2000 clones manufactured by Trust), I found out that they have a mode
> >(called NE2000 plus) in which they apparently use shared memory (at
> >least, the setup menu asks you to select a memory address.
> >
> >Is this mode supported by the current if_ed driver, and is it documented
> >anywhere ? (I am asking because I remember discussion on the relative
> >performance of WD80x3 -- better, using shared memory -- and NE2000
>
> This NE2000+ is a pretty interesting character...its almost a contradiction.
> The only good reason (and it IS a good reason) to use an NE2000 is that you
> don't have to worry about conflicts with other adapters. But an NE2000 with
> shared memory really is just a non-compatible WD8013, since they both use
> the same processor. If they're as inexpensive as NE2000 clones though...now
> this would be good. We have an NE2000 driver for our VLB NE2000 that we
> could easily modify to support the NE2000+. Please give me some info on
> pricing and who sells them. If they cost the same or close to an SMC card,
> forget it. I'd rather use SMC.

They are sold by TRUST and are priced around 70.000 Itl incl. VAT
(this was a couple of months ago, the lira has gone way down since...),
which means probably less than US$ 45. The SMC cards cost three times
as much (not to mention the fact that the 8013 has practically
disappeared). I think it would be a good thing if the ed driver could
support the NE200plus mode. And, from what you say, most of the code
should already be in the ed driver (assuming, of course, that you know
how to recognize a 2000plus and to handle it).

	Luigi
Luigi Rizzo                     Dip. di Ingegneria dell'Informazione
email: luigi@iet.unipi.it       Universita' di Pisa
tel: +39-50-568533              via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)
fax: +39-50-568522