Date:      Fri, 5 Nov 1999 18:27:30 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        Troy Settle <st@i-plus.net>
Cc:        Vadim Chekan <vadim@gc.lviv.ua>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: imap, postfix, freebsd

On Mon, 25 Oct 1999, Troy Settle wrote:

> > Patrick Bihan-Faou wrote:
> > > However, I think that the CYRUS IMAP server is somewhat nicer
> > than IMAP-UW.
> > > Is anybody looking at updating the port ?
> >
> > I tryed to run it but there are a problem. New Cyrus uses PAM. But
> > non-root user hasn't got permissions to athentificate user by pam_unix.
> > I don't know is this a feature or bug. It's possible to use Curus's
> > users database.
> >

> As far as I can tell, the newer cyrus will still use pwcheck, but only
> through that SASL crap, which, when building with --with-pwcheck, it chokes
> and pukes.  On my list of things to do this week, is to figure out what the
> folks at CMU have been smoking and how it's affected their ability to create
> clean code and reasonable documentation.

I've provided Larry Greenfield with an account on one of my FreeBSD
machines so he can test compiles/portability on FreeBSD 3.3.  His
predecessor, Tim Showalter, used one of my machines for the same thing,
but I guess we'll wait and see if Larry actually does it or not :-).

Of late, I've been thinking of setting up a freebsd-build.watson.org and
allowing developers to try building their software there to test FreeBSD
compatibility.  I do this for a couple of people now (KeyNote, Cyrus) and
it seems to work fairly well for people working entirely in userland.  Any
thoughts on the feasibility of this?  Part of the problem of a "ports"
collection is that the changes often don't get submitted back to the
original maintainer of the software, leading to problems on updates, and
more than one point of maintenance.

  Robert N M Watson