Date:      Wed, 4 Jun 2008 10:30:37 -0400
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        "Carlos A. M. dos Santos" <unixmania@gmail.com>, Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@freebsd.org>, Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Why does sysinstall still limits cylinders to 65535?

On Tuesday 03 June 2008 10:49:41 pm Doug Barton wrote:
> Carlos A. M. dos Santos wrote:
> > On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 3:24 AM, Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@freebsd.org>
wrote:
> >> Carlos, bottom line is to simply ignore the geometry warning you see.
> >>
> >> For others...
> >>
> >> This is just added evidence that the humongous warning spit out during
> >> sysinstall's fdisk is confusing users (many taking it very seriously
> >> when there's really no problem at all).
> >>
> >> I think this is the third time someone's brought this up in the past
> >> couple months...
> >
> > Sorry if I sound annoying but nobody else answered. I still believe
> > that something must be done to fix sysinstall, so I'm asking you
> > (where "you" means the "others" in Jeremy's message) to provide some
> > additional feedback. Please fill-in the dots in one or more of the
> > following options:
> >
> > 1. We can not make such change sysinstall because ...
> >
> > 2. Your patch is not correct/sufficient. I would be better if ...
> >
> > 3. Please submit a PR. It will momentarily be reviewed by ...
> >
> > 4. Give up. Nobody here cares about this issue.
>
> 5. -stable is not the right list to discuss sysinstall issues.
> freebsd-hackers would be the first choice, if you don't get a response
> there, -current would be the next.
>
> Send the PR first, and in your message give a brief background of your
> issue and a URL for the PR. That way when it gets reviewed the feedback
> will be consolidated into one convenient location.
>
> If you want "momentary" review for your work, open source is probably
> not the arena you should be looking to contribute in.

6. The Real Fix(tm) would be to change sysinstall to allow use of GPT
partitions (GPT doesn't use C/H/S at all, so the warning would only be
present for the MBR/BSD label case) and then enable those by default.

You would still need to allow for MBR/BSD layouts for some embedded devices
that don't support the BIOS EDD packet mode (i.e. doing disk I/O using LBA's
rather than C/H/S).

--
John Baldwin