Date:      Fri, 3 Apr 1998 14:32:21 -0800
From:      rec@corp.cirrus.com (Bob Cousins)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        rec@rcousins.com
Subject:   Help! Can't make install work

Hello:
	I've installed FreeBSD on two other systems successfully,
	but am stymied on the latest. I created a boot floppy using
	boot.flp and fdimage.exe copied down today (4/3/98) from
	Ftp.FreeBSD.org.

	The system (which is brand new), boots the floppy just fine and
	I select visual mode for configuration.

		The system configuration is simple:
		200 MHZ Pentium w/ MMX
		512 K second level cache
		64 megs of RAM
		3Com PCI LAN controller ("3Com Fast ETherlink XL") 3c90x
		Hard disk: WDC AC24300L (4312 mb) (primary ide master)
		CD ROM: Toshiba (primary IDE slave)
		ZIP Drive: secondary IDE Master
		Matrox video card
		serial ports, modem, serial mouse, floppy, etc.

	Selecting active drivers
		I kill all storage except floppy.
		Same with Netowrk devices and parallel printers.
		Same with microsoft and ps/2 mouse selections.
		PCI section shows PCI drivers for my LAN and disk controllers.

	WHen I'm done, I select "q" to quit and "y" to save.
	Immediatley I get a partial screen of text showing the probes.
	There are 9 lines of output in all. They are (hand typed, sorry
	if there are any typos):

avail memory = 61792256 (60344K bytes)
Probing for devices on PCI bus 0:
chip0 <Intel 82439TX PCI cache memory controller> rev 1 on pci0:0:0
chip1 <Intel 82371AB PCI-ISA bridge> rev 1 on pci0:7:0
chip2 <Intel 82371AB IDE interface> rev 1 on pci0:7:1
chip3 <Intel 82371AB USB interface> rev 1 int d irq 11 on pci0:7:2
chip4 <Intel 82371AB Power management controller> rev 1 on pci0:7:3
vga0 <VGAcompatible display device> rev 0 int a irq 9 on pci0:13:0
vx0 <3COM 3C905 Faster Therlink XL PCI> rev 0 int a irq 10 on pci0:15:0

Then the system hangs. It won't respond to the keyboard  (numlock doesn't
work, space bar doesn't work, cntl-alt-delete doesn't work). I've left it
this way for 1+ hour without any changes.

I've also tried various configuration settings including bypassing
configuration totally. I get the same answers.

When I boot with -cv I get some more lines of output during the probes
but nothing which seems relevant.

I must be doing something wrong, but I'm too close to the problem. COuld
someone please give me a hint as to what I'm doing wrong?

BTW: Hardware boots windows/95 just fine and I haven't been able to overwrite
it yet! I'd appreciate some help so that I can remove one more microsoft
boot sector virus from the world.

THanx
Bob Cousins
rec@RCousins.com