Date:      Thu, 09 Oct 2008 16:12:33 +1100
From:      Horst =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=FCnther?= Burkhardt III <horst@sxemacs.org>
To:        Nick Coleman <ncoleman@internode.on.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD PowerPC ML <freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   re: Extreme difficulty with partitioning on mac powerpc g4 [long]

--=-pdX/IZ69LyL+iurpvoXS

On Thu, 2008-10-09 at 11:01 +0800, Nick Coleman wrote:

> FWIW, I'm brand new to FreeBSD and Mac, so none of this is gospel, just=20
> what worked for me.  It took me about 4 or 5 attempts before I got it to=20
> work.  This is for 7.0 by the way.

Welcome to FreeBSD, and welcome to Macintosh.

> I ended up spending quite a few days reading various sites to get it to=20
> work, but successfully in the end.  I found the netBSD instructions for=20
> the PPC to be quite helpful, and Peter Grehan's instructions too.

That's odd, I found them to be a tad skeleton.

> I will go into a fair bit of detail for those reading this later, might=20
> save a few days of research.  This is what I did:
>=20
>  From what I understand, you need to use mac-fdisk (Debian, Mac OS X; I=20
> think it might even just be a frontend to parted) or parted.  I used=20
> parted for a PPC build, in a Ubuntu live CD session.  Ubuntu's latest=20
> releases don't support PPC, but their 6.x build is still maintained and=20
> does support it.   I downloaded the live CD (700MB just to run parted!).=20
>   Perhaps you could do it easier with a smaller build of a live CD, but=20
> I have a fast connection and by that point (tearing out hair!) couldn't=20
> be bothered faffing around to find something else.  (BTW, does Gparted=20
> support ppc?  I didn't think it did, so I didn't explore it any further=20
> other than reading their website intro.)

I eventually used Finnix for this at the suggestion of Richard
DeLaurell.

> So that's it.  I ended up doing a minimum install because I got sick of=20
> downloading all those packages just for the install to fail.  I ended up=20
> with a minimum just so I could get to a shell after rebooting.
>=20
> On a side note, by this stage, Open Firmware and I have quite a close=20
> relationship. :).  Open Firmware is my bro'.
> To be honest, I was surprised at how little info there is out on the=20
> net.  I found only 3 (!) sites with good practical info.   I wonder if=20
> it is just that there are very few people actually installing FreeBSD=20
> for the first time on a G4.  Perhaps just you and me... :)

You and Me Against The World comes to mind.

Would you be interested in improving the PowerPC port page on the
FreeBSD wiki with this information, with me ? :) It would definitely
help other newcomers.

-- Horst.

--=-pdX/IZ69LyL+iurpvoXS

--=-pdX/IZ69LyL+iurpvoXS--