Date:      Tue, 24 Sep 1996 14:13:58 -0500
From:      rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: install on {Net,Open}BSD vs install on FreeBSD

Warner Losh <imp@village.org>:

> I'm
>not advocating that we use it for the 'make install' phase of the
>build process, just that it be available.
>
>With that clarification, do people generally like or dislike the
>proposal?

I'm all for it. The more that we can have a common specification for these
standard tools, the easier it is to work on multiple machines.

Besides, it does not hurt to "do what the author intended" when you are
porting something into FreeBSD. It is much easier to fix the permissions by
mtree'ing things up front rather than having to edit all the makefiles,
etc.