Date:      Sun, 18 Aug 1996 14:05:37 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Network Admin <naief@genghis_khan.dbeach.com>
To:        Gary Palmer <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: News provider feeback (fwd)

On Sat, 17 Aug 1996, Gary Palmer wrote:

> >    The only hardware you have to worry about (plus what a news server
> > needs offcourse) is the serial port. We found that using built in ports
> > do not work, you keep losing data (tty-level buffer overflow messages
> > will fill your screen,logs). Its better to use an independent serial card
> > (vs built in the motherboard), or a Hayes ESP type card.
>
> Umm? If you have on-board (decent) 16550A UARTS, you should be able to
> handle that stream fine. It sounds like you have a clone motherboard
> which has poorer quality 16550 clones. I'm no expert on PC
> architecture, but I can't think of any reason that the on-board ports
> would suffer drawbacks that a paddleboard wouldn't.
>
> Gary
  We have an ASUS P/I-P55TP4N motherboard.The manual says that the board
has "Super Multi-I/O: with two high-speed UART compatible serial ports".
  Is this setup good or bad, I really do not know. We kept on having
buffer overflows until we got ourselves another I/O card, and everything
worked well thereafter. When I called Pagesat to ask about the system and
wether it will work with FreeBSD and so on, They said no problem, the
only thing you have to do is get an independent fast serial port and you
are good to go, So apparentaly a lot of folks were having a problem.
 One thing I noticed from the Satallite reciver is that data does not
flow continously but rather arrives in short bursts every 20 seconds or
so. Maybe the independent card had a larger buffer size than the inboard
one?.. or maybe its a genuine 16550N vs just compatible?..
Naief