Date:      Fri, 21 May 1999 22:07:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Guest <guest@pegasus.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sound still broken..

On Thu, 20 May 1999, Guest wrote:

> } > Since the newbus integration, sound has not working been for me.  I tried
> } > again today with a current build, and it still does not work.  I am using
> } > an Intel PR440FX which has an onboard Crystal 4236 sound system.
> } >
> } > Basically, any audio playback sounds terrible.  With x11amp (or other mp3
> } > players,) it sounds as though it is skipping.  When capturing audio with
> } > fxtv and then playing it back, it sounds as though some audio is looped
> } > back over every second or so.  RealPlayer constantly says it is rebuffering
> } > due to net congestion and gives up with some error.
> } >
> } > Is anyone else seeing similar problems?  I am really not sure about how to
> } > go about looking for the cause.  I assume it is interrupt related, but I
> } > really have no idea.
> }
> } I'm working through the pcm driver updating it to new-bus style prior to
> } rewriting the isapnp code. Interestingly, I have two sound cards, one pnp
> } and one regular and I can only reproduce the sound problem on the pnp
> } card.
> }
>
> Any chance of giving the sound drivers interrupt priority over SCSI, etc.?
>
> That would fix a number of problems.

It doesn't work that way.  FreeBSD is volunteers, not a paid
organization.  Anyone works on whatever floats their boat, at their own
priority.  If they do a good job and observe the style and coding rules,
and don't break things, their code stands a good chance of getting
committed.  There isn't anybody standing over you, whipping the lash and
setting priorities.

There are some drawbacks to this, but it's a darn sight closer to
perfection than the alternatives, so you have to keep that in mind
before you complain.

As far as that goes, sound works great for me, but I've spent the time
learning the pnp stuff and the new boot configuration setup.  It's
changed radically, so things just aren't the same as they used to be,
and you have to do some reading to get your sound working.

> with "unsubscribe freebsd-multimedia" in the body of the message

chuckr@picnic.mat.net       | communications topic, C programming, and Unix.
213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (Solaris7).