Date:      Thu, 21 Feb 2002 21:28:20 +0100 (CET)
From:      torstenb@vmunix.org (Torsten Blum)
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MBONE anyone?

Julian Elischer wrote:

> Is there anyone with an mbone feed?

The mbone is obsolete. Although there might still be a few people using
DVMRP, the rest of the multicasting internet migrated to PIM Sparse Mode
some time ago.

> I'd like to try figure out how to get some sort of
> teleconferencing going under FreeBSD...

Well, vic+rat works fine.
But you'll have problems with rat in >=4.4 since /dev/dsp does not accept
mixer ioctls anymore. I tried to fix rat's newpcm module, but that works
only with a ugly hack. It seems I'm triggering some other problem. I'm not
sure what it is and I did not have the time yet to continue debugging
after my mail to -multimedia a few weeks ago.

 -tb