Date:      Thu, 2 Aug 2001 01:09:46 +0200
From:      Bart Matthaei <bart@xs4nobody.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RELEASE 4.3 -> RELENG_4_3: SUCCESSFULLY but ...

On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 10:01:41PM +0100, Nuno Teixeira wrote:
<snip>
> My question is: what is the real danger of doing `installworld` in
> multiuser mode? I have doing a lot of tests in other machines tracking
> STABLE and I have no problems so far.

They advice you to run singleuser, because of the securelevel.
If your securlevel is set to 3, for instance, you (no, not even root) wont be
able to overwrite files that have the schg flags set (system immutable
flag).. So things like rcp (which is schg by default) wont be installed
properly.

Also, singleuser makes sure processes like sshd are shut down.

(this is my theory.. correct me if im wrong)

With regards,

Bart Matthaei

--
Bart Matthaei           |       bart@xs4nobody.nl