Date:      Thu, 8 Mar 2001 12:04:41 -0600
From:      Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>
To:        Henry Ammons <henryammons@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Intermittant freezing problems

First things first... before stating that something is broken, update
your sources and rebuild. cvsup the entire src tree, then prepare
yourself for the long haul of rebuilding your system. It ought to take
about two hours, I put a total of 1.5 hours on my PIII-733 with 320M
RAM.

When you rebuild the kernel, remove anything you don't absolutely need.

Check the daemons, remove anything you don't need running.

Do you leave XFree86 running all the time? It isn't known to be the most
stable program (in fact, compared to your base system, XFree86 is a
piece of shit), and might be causing lockups. When I go to bed, I log
out.

Check the logs for various daemons, maybe one of them did something very
bad.

If it still locks up, then it's experiment time. Start disabling
daemons, one by one, until you are confident the one you've disabled
isn't causing the problem. Restart it, and move on to the next one.
Also, start taking out non-critical features of the kernel. I know, for
instance, that my hardware's APM is buggy, and when I build a kernel
with APM support, it locks at boot time. I also know that when I build
smbus support in the kernel to monitor motherboard statistics, it boots
fine and recognizes smb devices, but when I run healthd or lmmon, my
kernel panics.

--
Andrew Hesford
ajh3@chmod.ath.cx