Date:      Sun, 8 Jan 1995 10:56:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@estienne.CS.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        dufault@hda.com (Peter Dufault)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Commit testing

> Justin T. Gibbs writes:
> >
> > Well, I usually thoroughly test my code, and when I'm ready to commit
> > it, SUP current and rebuild, do about an hour or so of testing again,
> > and commit.  Then I re-sup, merge conflicts, and retest to see if I've
> > left anything out or botched the commit.  For future commits, I plan
> > on checking out a brand new copy of the kernel sources (I sup CVS) in
> > this phase since otherwise its hard to tell if you left anything out
> > of the commit.
>
> Does this mean you don't test it compile Freefall?  It doesn't seem like

I never test compile on Freefall.  Its almost always imposible because the
tools, header files, etc are all back at the previos release.  I just pull
over diffs (cvs diff -c's of my source tree) check out the areas I need,
patch, and commit.

> compiling on freefall is easy unless you check out most of sys.
> Or am I missing something?  I wanted to
>
> 1. sup current
> 2. Test locally
> 3. Log in; check out, change, compile, check in
> 4. sup again
> 5. test locally
>
> Is this overkill? Is there an easy way to compile on freefall during step 3?

You can try it, but I think you might find it difficult.  If you have the
space, you might also talk to Jordan about get CSV-sup access.  Haveing
the tree local makes development much easier.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
TCS Instructional Group - Programmer/Analyst 1