Date:      Sun, 30 Apr 2000 01:54:57 -0400
From:      Mark Abene <phiber@radicalmedia.com>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ioctl problem with IDE cdrom drive...

On Sat, Apr 29, 2000 at 11:46:18PM -0600, Kenneth D. Merry wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 29, 2000 at 22:34:59 -0400, Mark Abene wrote:
> > Is anyone aware of problems with doing ioctls on IDE CDROM drives?
> > I'm trying to use xmcd/cda to play CD's, and it fails when trying to do
> > a CDIOCREADSUBCHANNEL ioctl, returning errno 25 (inappropriate ioctl for
> > device).  My cdrom drive works fine otherwise in all respects.
> > I've e-mailed the author of xmcd, and we're at a loss as to why this common
> > ioctl is failing.  He's using the call to detect whether a disc has been
> > inserted.
> >
> > Anyone have any suggestions?
>
> Well, make sure you're using the correct device.  I think it should be
> /dev/acd0a or /dev/acd0c.

Most assuredly, I'm using the correct device node.

> If you're still having trouble after that, I would suggest contacting the
> ATA driver author, Soren Schmidt <sos@FreeBSD.org>.
>
> Ken

Before I do that, can anyone else verify that xmcd (or cda) from the ports
collection doesn't work with an IDE CDROM drive?

I've done some poking, and wmcdplay works fine.  It too makes use of
CDIOCREADSUBCHANNEL, so it may not be a driver issue.

-Mark