Date:      Wed, 22 Jul 1998 08:45:53 +0100
From:      "Pierre Y. Dampure" <pierre.dampure@k2c.co.uk>
To:        FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Current values of TTYHOG and RS_IBUFSIZE

Over the past few weeks I've had several instances of userppp
disconnecting a connection w/o particular reasons on bleeding edge
-current. The only change on the box was the recent addition of a Hayes
ESP card (I connect via ISDN), so I checked the archives for possible
issues.

Way back in 1996 (23 Nov), Brian Litzinger posted a follow-up to "Hayes
ESP and interrupt-level buffer overflow" and advised altering the
following constants :

	In /sys/sys/tty.h:	TTYHOG		Change to 4096
	In /sys/i386/isa/sio.c	RS_IBUFSIZE	Change to 1024

I applied the above and haven't had any problems since -- in fact, it
seems the connections are _much_ faster.

Can anybody confirms whether these changes are valid and, if so, can we
include them in -current (#ifdef'd via COM_ESP, of course)?

Oh, on a completeley different subject, has anyone experienced problems
connecting to Altavista (http://www.altavista.digital.com) recently?
connection stay in ESTABLISHED state, nothing else happens. Works okay
from work via a SunScreen...

Best Regards,

Pierre Y.