Date:      Wed, 19 Apr 2023 19:32:06 +0200
From:      Alfonso Sabato Siciliano <alfix86@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-accessibility@freebsd.org
Subject:   Terminal Reader and Text User Interface utilities

--0000000000002be7df05f9b3ce86

Hi all,

I'd be happy to help to improve accessibility. I have some idea, however
I would like to understand where to concentrate the effort and the best
solution.

We have some utilities with a TUI (Text User Interface) to set up the
system. For example dialog4ports and portconfig to choose options for
building and installing ports [0].

Let's say:
# cd /usr/ports/editor/vim
# make config | espeak

espeak-ng reads: escape characters that are sent to the terminal to
color fonts and other graphical stuff, chars used to draw borders and
lines (windows, buttons, etc). Another problem seems to be the
difficulty of selecting buttons and items in a checklist or radiolist,
this is the purpose of 'make config'; the problem is to understand
where is the focus or the cursor.

I am considering to implement a new utility with a CLI (Command Line
Interface) for the same purpose. Let's say, for the vim port the output
could be:

# make config
vim port configuration
1: print options, 2: save and exit, 3: close without saving
# 1
Checklist with 2 items.
Make Jobs: Enable parallel build. Disabled
e: enable, c: continue
# c
NLS: Native Language Support. Enabled
d: disable, c: continue
# c
End List
1: print options, 2: save and exit, 3: close without saving
# 2
(Actually vim has more options, this is just a fake example.)

Can this new CLI utility be useful? Suggestions and feedbacks are
welcome.

Regards,
Alfonso

[0] https://www.freebsd.org/ports/

--0000000000002be7df05f9b3ce86

bility. I have some idea, however<br>I would like to understand where to co=
s with a TUI (Text User Interface) to set up the<br>system. For example dia=
log4ports and portconfig to choose options for<br>building and installing p=
fig | espeak<br><br>espeak-ng reads: escape characters that are sent to the=
 terminal to<br>color fonts and other graphical stuff, chars used to draw b=
orders and<br>lines (windows, buttons, etc). Another problem seems to be th=
e<br>difficulty of selecting buttons and items in a checklist or radiolist,=
nt a new utility with a CLI (Command Line<br>Interface) for the same purpos=
nfig<br>vim port configuration<br>1: print options, 2: save and exit, 3: cl=
print options, 2: save and exit, 3: close without saving<br># 2<br>(Actuall=
y vim has more options, this is just a fake example.)<br><br>Can this new C=

--0000000000002be7df05f9b3ce86--