Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 1996 17:04:16 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Paul Richards <p.richards@elsevier.co.uk>
To:        security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ssh /etc config files location..

> > I don't see the point to move security-related configs to /etc
> > and _not_ to move security binaries from /usr/local.
>
> Because not everyone has worries about NFS security.

I don't think the security issue is the main one anyway. Like you said,
you either trust NFS or you simply don't use it and moving ssh files
off /usr/local because it might use NFS from a security point of
view is rather bogus.

The fact that the ssh files are *host specific* is a far more important
consideration. They should therefore be in a *genuinely* local part
of the filesystem.

> > I disagree with proposed solution (moving configs only to /etc).
>
> I agree.

I disagree with /etc. These are not configuration files, they are
runtime modifiable files and should go in /var.

--
  Paul Richards. Originative Solutions Ltd.
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 1225 447500 (work)