Date:      Thu, 9 Mar 2017 11:22:20 -0700
From:      Ross Alexander <rwa@athabascau.ca>
To:        Bengt Ahlgren <bengt.ahlgren@ri.se>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ssh -Y forwarding seems to be damaged of late

On Wed, 8 Mar 2017, Bengt Ahlgren wrote:

> Ross Alexander <rwa@athabascau.ca> writes:
>
>> I have notice over the last month or two that I don't seem to
>> be able to get the VirtualBox UI to come up on an X11 forwarding
>> ssh connection.  I'm seeing the same problem with libreoffice.
>> [...]

> I don't have a solution to your problem, but I'd just like to inform you
> that Virtualbox works for me over "ssh -Y" to a server with:
>
> FreeBSD 10.3-STABLE (GENERIC) #1 r314204: Fri Feb 24 15:28:33 CET 2017
> virtualbox-ose-5.1.14_2
> virtualbox-ose-kmod-5.1.14
>
> this is with the display on a client with kde desktop and:
>
> FreeBSD 10.3-STABLE (P142s10) #12 r314314M: Sun Feb 26 23:27:14 CET 2017
>
> There are some complaints, but it works:
>
> $ virtualbox
> debug1: client_input_channel_open: ctype x11 rchan 3 win 65536 max 16384
> debug1: client_request_x11: request from ::1 12262
> debug1: channel 1: new [x11]
> debug1: confirm x11
> xkbcommon: ERROR: failed to add default include path /usr/local/share/X11=
/xkb
> Qt WARNING: Qt: Failed to create XKB context!
> Qt WARNING: Use QT_XKB_CONFIG_ROOT environmental variable to provide an a=
dditional search path, add ':' as separator to provide several search paths=
 and/or make sure that XKB configuration data directory contains recent eno=
ugh contents, to update please see http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xkeyboard-co=
nfig/ .
> libGL error: failed to open drm device: No such file or directory
> libGL error: failed to load driver: i965
> libGL error: unable to load driver: swrast_dri.so
> libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
> Qt WARNING: libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile

Bengt,

Thanks for the data point.  Yes, I too got the "Failed to create XKB
context" and the fix is to install xkeyboard-config-2.20 AFAIR.  The
libGL errors are certainly interesting, I don't see those.  Will dig
down on that.

regards,
Ross
--
Ross Alexander, (780) 675-6823 desk / (780) 689-0749 cell, rwa@athabascau.c=

    The fear of infinity is a form of myopia that destroys the possibility
    of seeing the actual infinite, even though it in its highest form has
    created and sustains us, and in its secondary transfinite forms occurs
    all around us and even inhabits our minds. -- Georg Cantor
--
This communication is intended for the use of the recipient to whom it is a=
ddressed, and may contain confidential, personal, and or privileged informa=