Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 1996 15:39:52 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [comp.os.linux.announce] xpdf 0.6 - a PDF viewer for X

> Our system administrator asked me, some months ago, what should they
> choose between Linux and FreeBSD for their internet courses. Knowing
> they wanted to hear "Linux" from lips, I told them if they wanted user
> level applications, they should choose Linux, but if they wanted to use
> it for servers and other serious stuff they should prefer FreeBSD.

FWIW, that's basically what I tell people who ask me also.  I say that
if they're looking for primarily a desktop OS and need access to lots
of native apps and/or DOS emulation support, they should probably look
at Linux.  If they want a server or other 24/7 resource, or they need
to do serious networking, FreeBSD is the best choice.  Of course, I
also point out that each can often be used in the other role with some
success but, in terms of overall emphasis, those are my best
recommendations.

					Jordan