Date:      Mon, 25 Jun 2001 11:17:34 -0700
From:      David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        whitt38@home.com
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Major install confusion

Rod Whittlesey wrote:

>         When I boot with the install CD, sysinstall automatically starts and I can
> get to into the FDISK partition editor but my new partition doesn't show up.
> There is what looks like almost the entire disk, and then a 9 meg slice that
> doesn't correspond to the 3 gig slice I had set up with Partition Commander.

Did you create primary partitions or extended partitions?

>         There are references to INSTALL.EXE and VIEW.EXE that could be run from a
> Microsoft partition. They're supposed to be on the install CD but don't
> exist. (pages 29 and 69).

Not having DOS or Windows, I've never looked for these files. Perhaps
they are no longer included. I would figure out what's wrong with your
install floppies, and use them. I have never had a problem using 1.44M
floppies for FreeBSD install. I suspect that your floppies are bad.

Since the floppies are written raw, more than 1,457,664 bytes will fit
on them. I usually use Unix dd to make mine, not rawrite, however. Make
sure that you format them first, and use full format, not the default
"quick" format.

David