Date:      Thu, 16 Jul 2015 14:50:14 +0100
From:      Gary Palmer <gpalmer@freebsd.org>
To:        muhammedzubair sharief <mzs_47@yahoo.co.in>
Cc:        vbox@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Query about Virtualbox version.

On Thu, Jul 16, 2015 at 06:36:36PM +0800, muhammedzubair sharief wrote:

> On Wed, 15/7/15, Gary Palmer <gpalmer@freebsd.org> wrote:
>
>  Subject: Re: Query about Virtualbox version.
>  To: "muhammedzubair sharief" <mzs_47@yahoo.co.in>
>  Cc: vbox@FreeBSD.org
>  Date: Wednesday, 15 July, 2015, 6:06 PM
>
>  On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at
>  06:33:52PM +0800, muhammedzubair sharief wrote:
>  >
>  > Dear Maintainer,
>  >
>  >
>  > I am using Virtualbox 4.3.28 on FreeBSD
>  10.1, during recent pkg upgrade it showed version 4.3.30.
>
>  >
>  > [..]
>  > > pkg upgrade
>  >
>  Installed packages to be UPGRADED:
>  >
>  ??? virtualbox-ose-kmod: 4.3.28 -> 4.3.30
>  > ??? virtualbox-ose: 4.3.28_1 ->
>  4.3.30
>  >
>  > The
>  process will require 14 KiB more space.
>  >
>  32 MiB to be downloaded.
>  >
>  > Proceed with this action? [y/N]:
>  > [..]
>  >
>  >
>  > However there was no
>  stable release of 4.3.30. Is this version 5 which was
>  recently released?
>  >
>  > Thanks for maintaining Virtualbox on
>  FreeBSD!
>

>  https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Download_Old_Builds_4_3
>
>  Quote:? "VirtualBox
>  4.3.30 (released July 10th 2015)"
>
>  Regards,
>
>  Gary
>

> Thanks, the last time I checked(on 9th July) it was not there which was during version 5 release,  I am afraid that moving to version 5.0 might break the Virtualbox VM installations on 4.3.x.
> Will version 5 replace 4.3.x or that be maintained separately?

I can't speak for the FreeBSD VBox maintainers, but in general FreeBSD ports
try to put major versions into a new port (e.g. emulators/virtualbox-ose5
or similar) so that people are not forced to upgrade and possibly break
working configurations, and allow a transition period.

I would expect that unless by some miracle the kernel module works for both
VBox 4.3.x and 5.0.x, you may not be able to have both versions installed
on the same system at the same time.

Regards,

Gary