Date:      Tue, 17 Dec 1996 13:01:15 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>
To:        mishania@demos.su
Cc:        freebsd-quiestions@freebsd.org, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Seagate Barracuda 9 (11/9) gb specs?

In message <199612170944.MAA03416@megillah.demos.su>, "Mikhail A. Sokolov" writ
es:
>Hello,
>
>I wonder if someone can help me with the following. I have Seagate UW SCSI
>Barracuda 9 9gb (11 unformatted) drive to rape.
>
>The question finally is: can any of you name the geometry of it and
>is it ok that this disk is seen it's 9gb unformatted, and 8,6+ formatted?

Remember that a Megabyte according to diskmanufacturers are 1000000 bytes,
so 17783112*512/1000000 = 9104 MB.

A modern SCSI disk doesn't have a "geometry", it's best to think of it
as a linear array of sectors.

Your SCSI controller has to come up with a geometry anyway because MSDOS
is not a "modern OS".  In this case I would guess that this pseudo
geometry will be something like 1106 cylinders, 255 heads, 63 sectors.

Unless this is your boot disk, there is no problem with this.  If you
intend to boot from it you have to read the docs carefully.

Remember to make a backup copy, this will only take 6174 floppies, which
mean that you should be able to do it in a couple of weeks or so :-)

>ahc0 <Adaptec 2940 Ultra SCSI host adapter> rev 0 int a irq 10 on pci0:12
>ahc0: aic7880 Wide Channel, SCSI Id=7, 16 SCBs
>ahc0 waiting for scsi devices to settle
>(ahc0:0:0): "SEAGATE ST19171W 0018" type 0 fixed SCSI 2
>sd0(ahc0:0:0): Direct-Access 8683MB (17783112 512 byte sectors)

whois: [PHK]                | phk@tfs.com           TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Power and ignorance is a disgusting cocktail.